Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Almost a Volunteer…

Greetings everyone!

I’m grabbing a few hours before we journey to Pretoria, where we get sworn in as official volunteers and then get whisked away to our site. We’ve battled through training, which included frustration, boredom, heat, cold, friendly flying cockroach-type creatures, and the joys that accompany survival and persistence.

I “passed” my language test (which doesn’t mean much except that satisfaction of passing) collected language books for two of the four other languages I may use, and I’m ready, oh so ready, to go!

Apologies to anyone who may have tried calling me. It turns out that, after hours of research and talking to T-Mobile, that my phone does not, repeat not, work here. Ah, well. I’ll buy another one when I get to site, and I’ll keep my number, so either try your luck again, or wait for my all-clear.

So, I feel like I haven’t been able to really go into details about my life here in Gopane during training, who I have connected with, what I’ve learned, or how I’ve changed. As far as how I’ve changed, so far there hasn’t been anything significant except that I got over my phobia of white tennis shoes and dressing like a dork. Hopefully there are no pictures at my worst. Oh, and I might be turning into a morning person, waking up before 7:00 on a consistent basis (and, yes, that IS my definition of a morning person, mom!). Who I’ve connected with has been much more significant.

As I may have mentioned, Cole and Lauren have been my language buddies and I love them dearly. We’ve kept each other sane and cracked each other up, and god, I will miss them. That’s one thing about Peace Corps that is tough; you don’t really know what will happen, you get attached to people or to a certain assignment, and then that’s not who you’re living next to or what you’re doing. I guess it’s just like life, but high intensity and without the illusion of being in charge of your destiny.

Fortunately, I like the people I’m close to, and there are lots of people, both in my group and in previous Peace Corps groups, around me. Maggie is my closest neighbor, possibly walk-able, but we haven’t tried that out yet since my house in Shatale is still being renovated. She’s awesome, and we’ve been planning Scrabble sessions and dance parties (but don’t worry, Gene, I’ll still have lots of time for community integration). It’s great to find someone who can relate to both my intro- and extraverted sides. Rose is also close by, someone I haven’t spent a lot of time with, but I’ve enjoyed talking with her, and we’ll get to know each other pretty quick! There’s lots of great people in my group, lots of stories, lots of things to blog and oh so little time. There’s just so much happening everyday that I don’t know what to write. So, a few things that I’ve thought about…

I’ve noticed that since I’ve been eating a fairly bland diet, not a lot of veggies and not at a consistent time, that when I eat food that’s more my style, I totally binge, I eat as much as I can stuff into my body, without really noticing it or tasting it, but I can’t make myself slow down. I feel like I’ve gotten a little window into the psychology of poverty and deprivation and insecurity. You take whatever you can get, whenever you can get it. There’s almost a meanness to me, a greedy hunger that I never really related to before. But it explains things that have been uncomfortable for us, like people, adults and children, asking for or taking things from us. It’s still uncomfortable, but I get it a little more.

On an entirely different note, I’m re-affirming everyday that working with small international NGOs is what I want to do with my life. The conversations I have about it are consistently exciting and invigorating, and I’m so happy when I’m working with people and their organizations. I’m glad to be doing this and that I have two years to figure out how to keep doing this work from the US.

I’ll be having a new P.O. box soon, I just have to make sure it accepts packages (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). Many of you have been asking what types of things to send, but South Africa seems to have most things available, including Harry Potter and the Simpson’s movie. You know, the important things. Mostly I want almond butter and Dr. Bronner’s soap. Oh, and home and all the people in it. It’s pretty wild to think of being away for two years, and sometimes I wish that my passions and interests were more related to the States. On the up side, though, I’m giving you all the chance to see an amazing part of the world. There’s nothing quite like South Africa and you have a ready-made excuse to visit. In a couple of months, I will figure out all the mosquito-free beautiful spots to take you, and will customize your experience to your specific dietary, comfort, and wildlife needs, while impressing you with my five sentences in five languages! In case you haven’t figured it out, I’m looking forward to visitors, and you should really, really try to come. Chance of a lifetime, folks!

And a shout-out to Tshwarelo eseng Mogakane! I got your comment and would love to chat with you. Just let me know how to get in touch. I’ll be in Bushbuckridge or Shatale in a few days and will check the internet soon.

So, soon I’ll have a phone, relatively regular internet access, and a permanent place to live with room for visitors (hint, hint) and the ability to cook for myself, and even better, exciting work to do. I can’t wait. I wish you were all here for my swearing in. It’s so official! Singing the American and South African national anthems and everything!

Oh, and quick hellos (since I don’t have time for emails today) to:

Dorothy (congrats on your new job! Yay!), Elena (I am the envy of the mail box because of you!), Luisa (belated thanks for the b-day card. I’ll write you back soon!), Dorian (unfortunately, I can’t view your Burning Man pictures until I’m not at a public café! The locals will talk…), Jeff (I got your email and letter. I’m so happy you’re at my house. I couldn’t have asked for better!), Chris (I love you and miss you! Don’t worry, I’ll call soon and give you all the Peace Corps gossip I can’t write here!), Mom and Brian (I saw the pics! Sooooo cute! Thanks for taking care of the little ones, and you’ll both love South Africa!), Angela (I’ll give you info on a cheap phone card so dad won’t panic! I love you!), Dad (I love your emails! I wish I was walking Zuni with you, too), Kat (Good luck with school! There’s lots of amazing horse trails near me, ya know), Liz (I can’t WAIT to hear about your journey. I’ve been sending lots of love!), Vera-Ora (thanks for keeping me informed of all the family news. You’re the best!), Ingrid (so good to hear from you! I hope you’re on my email list now, but things are a little scattered. Love you!), Ben (hey, sweetie! Thanks for the words of encouragement. I miss you. And impressive "Tobela"!), Peter (How do we keep missing each other?!?), Olga (so good to hear from you! Hang in there!), and Lisa (thanks for the birthday greetings! It was great to see you in Seattle. Its was too short. A punch in the arm for Ken from me.)

Until next time. Much love!
Ronda

2 comments:

Ginohn said...

HI Ronda! I are reading your blog. That's all I have time to say.

Gina

Kgoshii Lerabela said...

Hi

Glad you got the commey. Well, I'm around Nelspruit during week days, slaving off for the hungry readers of Daily Sun and City Press. Am only free on weekends - my number is 083 3350856.

Would love to hear from you. Welcome to Bushbuckridge. Here is my motto: Bushbuckridge Put The Whole Planet Under Siege. Why? Because I believe that Bushbuckridge is its people, and the talent that is found in this place is quite amazing, and yet to be discovered, a role I am giving all my life to see being reached. So indeed, Bushbuckridge Put The Whole Planet Under Siege.

Ciao